If you have been arrested for drug possession, protect your rights by retaining an experienced attorney. A conviction for any drug crime could impact your future employment opportunities and result in criminal penalties. Don’t face these charges on your own. Contact the skilled Clarksville drug crime lawyers here at Fendley & Etson for guidance today.
Drug Crime Lawyers | Fighting for Clients in Montgomery County, TN
Navigating the labyrinth of drug laws and potential penalties in Tennessee can be overwhelming. Our proficient Montgomery County criminal defense lawyers provide more than just legal representation. We offer guidance, clarity, strategy, and hope during these challenging times.
Types of Drug Crimes in Tennessee
Some of the most common types of drug charges that we see include the following:
- Drug Possession: Being found with a controlled substance without a valid prescription in Tennessee can range from misdemeanors to felonies. For instance, possessing half an ounce of marijuana may result in up to one year in jail and fines of $250 to $2,500, depending on the offense number.
- Intent to Sell or Deliver: Possessing drugs with intent to distribute can result in more stringent penalties based on the type and quantity of the substance. For instance, intent to sell cocaine can lead to penalties ranging from three to 60 years in prison, and fines between $5,000 and $200,000, based on the amount involved.
- Drug Manufacturing: Engaging in the production of illegal drugs can carry severe consequences, especially for substances like methamphetamine, which can result in eight to 30 years of imprisonment and fines up to $200,000.
- Drug Trafficking or Distribution: This involves severe penalties, often determined by the type and amount of drugs in question. For instance, trafficking over 300 pounds of marijuana can attract 15 to 60 years of imprisonment and fines of up to $500,000.
- Prescription Drug Fraud: Acquiring prescription medications deceitfully, like via fake prescriptions, can lead to sentences of 1 to 6 years in prison and hefty fines, depending on the specifics.
Penalties for Drug Possession Charges in Tennessee
Drug possession charges can have a drastic impact on a person’s freedom and future upon conviction. Some of the most common types of drug possession charges, as well as their penalties, are as follows:
- Marijuana-Related Charges: Possession of more than half an ounce could be treated as a felony, potentially resulting in a prison sentence of one to six years and fines up to $5,000.
- Cocaine-Related Charges: Possession of more than 0.5 grams of cocaine with the intent to sell or deliver can result in eight to 30 years of imprisonment, with fines ranging up to $200,000.
- Heroin-Related Charges: Given the opioid epidemic’s impact, even minimal amounts of heroin can lead to a prison term of one to six years for simple possession, with fines up to $5,000. Larger quantities attract considerably harsher penalties.
- Methamphetamine-Related Charges: Possession of meth with intent to sell, based on the amount, can lead to prison terms ranging from three to 60 years, with fines between $5,000 and $500,000.
- Prescription Drug Charges: Depending on the amount and type of prescription drug, illegal possession can result in penalties from one to 12 years of imprisonment and fines up to $5,000.
Protect Your Rights
Do not plead guilty to any drug possession charge before speaking with a criminal defense lawyer. An experienced defense attorney can raise a strong defense on your behalf. Some things to consider if you are currently facing drug charges include:
- The prosecution must prove that you intentionally possessed drugs.
- The police may have found drugs on your person as a result of an illegal search and seizure.
- A defense attorney may be able to convince the prosecution to resolve your case in a manner that avoids a criminal conviction.
- A plea to a lesser offense may be possible.
- If necessary, a defense attorney can fight your charges at trial and seek an acquittal.
We are committed to providing a zealous defense on behalf of each of our clients. We work diligently to protect your record, rights, and freedom.
Contact Our Montgomery County, Tennessee Drug Crime Lawyers
Tennessee’s rigorous drug laws and penalties are a testament to its commitment to maintaining law and order. However, every accused individual deserves a just defense and the opportunity to rebuild. In the midst of drug-related legal challenges, understanding your position and securing a seasoned team of drug crime lawyers can significantly influence the outcome of your case.